On Wednesday, my husband, Matt asked me if I wanted to go blueberry picking at a local farm. I asked if he really wanted me to (I never liked blueberries unless they were in muffins, pancakes, waffles or donuts), and he said yes. So, the next day we drove to "Sunshine Valley Farm" and met Terresa (my wonderful mother-in-law). We then had to walk through some woods and came up to a small building (I was hopeful it was a concession stand...I was hungry), but alas it was where you got your buckets to put blueberries in.
Photo from Sunshine Valley Farm Website.We were then sent down a row and began picking. I had a blast! Who would have thought that picking blueberries would be so much fun? I found some HUGE blueberries. Nothing like the store at all. I also found that if you lifted up some of the branches there would be some huge ones hiding, because nobody could see them. I did have a frustrating encounter....
I was minding my own, picking blueberries when a kid about 9 years old came up (listening to his iPod, of course) right next to me. Then he proceeded to reach under me, and across me, and right next to me and pick blueberries. UGH. I continued standing there, picking blueberries and giving him the "Evil" eye; I wasn't going to leave, I was there first, you know. The whole time, I was like "what the ?" because there were like 20 or more bushes in the same row and he came up next to me. Finally his mom came over and said it was time to go. Thank goodness....a few more seconds of that and I would have been kicked out of Sunshine Valley Farms for yelling at a nine year old boy.
Anyway (I know, it was traumatic) we went to weigh our blueberries. Matt had picked 4.7lbs of blueberries, Terresa had picked 5.2lbs of blueberries, and I picked 3.4lbs of blueberries (I was very selective...). We paid $2.50/lb and went on our way.
When we got home, Matt and I were starving so we made some grilled ham and cheese sandwiches; then we realized it was only 10 o'clock...AM. Then we just laid around eating blueberries. After watching a guy cook Mexican food on PBS, we decided to go to Acambaro. We got there and realized it was only 2 o'clock. Matt said this is what it'll be like when we're old. After that we took a nap until 430p (see, we are old...midday nap!) and then ate more blueberries.
Well, that was our day of blueberry picking and eating. Hope you enjoyed!
1 comment:
mmmmmm.... Blueberries
Post a Comment