Friday, October 17, 2008

Birthdays, Baby Stuff and Getting Hit...

Well, Ben celebrated his 11th birthday on Oct. 2nd. He wanted me to make him a Pokemon cake so here's a picture of that:



Baby Stuff: We got to hear the heartbeat on Sept. 11; it was in the 150's. We also got to hear it on the 10th of this month and it was in the 160's. Our ultrasound is scheduled for November 5th, so hopefully the baby cooperates and spreads it's legs!!! I now think 'it's' a boy...I've had 5 dreams that it was. Other than that, the nausea is getting better and the heartburn. I only have to take one nausea pill every 35-40hours, rather than every 24, so that's better! I will post ultrasound pictures when we get them.

And as if the pregnancy isn't stressful enough, on Monday, I woke up and my phone started ringing. It was Matt. Here's the conversation:
Matt: Did you get my messages?
Me: No...I just got up.
Matt: Well, I'm okay, but-
Me: YOU GOT HIT BY A CAR?!?!?!
Matt: Yep. I'm at St. John's ER. I'm okay, though, just needed some stitches in my pinky. But I'll need you to come pick me up and take me to work.
Me (freaking out): Okay, I'll be there in a minute.


I'm bawling my eyes out on the way to the ER, because I'm thinking it's worse than he says. To guys they are "okay" as long as their conscious. I get there he is sitting in the bed holding up his pinky finger; they had just stitched it up. Then, I got the story:

He was riding his bike to school (like he had been doing) and was riding down a hill. He got to a 4 way stop and had the right away so he kept going. When he was in the street, a large semi-truck turned left. Matt thought he was going to go straight, but realized he was turning right for him; his initial reaction was to slam on his brakes. The semi then hit him. He said that since the semi was turning, it was going pretty slow, about 5 mile per hour...Matt himself was going probably about 2 he said. The guy jumped out and asked Matt if he was okay, of course, Matt said he was and so they exchanged information. Then he realized his pinky finger was bleeding quite a bit and saw that it was "meaty" because a lot of the skin had been ripped off. He asked the guy if he would take him to the hospital. The guy said he would call his boss. Thank goodness, his boss told him no and to call 911 to get a police report. So, all of the sudden, a Fire Engine, Ambulance, Paramedics and Police department show up. Matt said 8 firefighters jump off the truck and Matt goes "All this for a little pinky?" Matt walked inside the ambulance and laid on the stretcher. They pulled into the hospital and were told to take him through trauma, so he had to lay and be strapped down on the stretcher. Here's a picture of the little pinky that took the blunt of the semi-truck blow:
His pinky also turned all purple, because they think he really smashed it when he got knocked over. Other than that, he just had a scrape on his right elbow and a knot on his left forearm. VERY LUCKY. He is definitely the only person who can get hit by a SEMI and hurt his PINKY! We can laugh about it now...

No comments: